Contracts in Norway
The Active Population in Figures
|Labor Force||2 382 000||2 400 000||2 446 000||2 507 000|
|Labor Force (Annual Growth, %)||0.30||0.76||2.00||2.50|
|Rate of Activity (%)||72.6||72.4||72.0||72.8|
|Unemployment Rate (%)||4.4||4.6||3.5||2.5|
|Employed Persons, by Occupation (% of Total Labor Force)||2007|
|Legislators, senior officials and managers||5.8%|
|Technicians and associate professionals||25.2%|
|Service workers and market sales workers||24.2%|
|Agricultural, forestry and fishery workers||2.5%|
|Craft and related trades workers||11.3%|
|Plant and machine operators and assemblers||7.3%|
|Other occupations and unspecified||5.6%|
Management of Human Resources
- Method of Recruitment
- Usually an advertisement is placed in the classified advertisements of the daily newspapers. Largest newspaper for recruitment ads is Aftenposten. Aftenposten's ads are also available in Internet at www.finn.no/jobb. Aspiring candidates can call for more information and send their CV accompanied by a letter after which a number of candidates are selected for an interview. Usually majority of the vacancies are also listed in the Internet.
- Recruitment Agencies
- The Public Employment Service is available throughout the country and widely used. The number of private recruitment agencies is limited, although increasing. Manpower and Adecco are the largest recruitment and temping agencies.
- Recruitment Websites
The Public Employment Service
- Type of Contract
- Legal clauses regulate employment contracts and to a lesser degree collective agreements and individual negotiations. The terms of employment contracts are rather rigid.
- Breach of Contracts
- Retirement age is 67, but early retirement is allowed at 62.
- Termination of employment contracts is extensively regulated in The Working Environment Act. Minimum notice period for termination and dismissal varies from one to six months based on the period of employment and the age of the employee. The employer is obliged to discuss with the labor union if a member of the union is about to be given notice due to economic or personal reasons.
- Other Possible Methods
- To be legal, dismissals must be based on either the circumstances directly related to the employee's work performance or the changed conditions of the company. In many situations, the employer is required to inform employee representatives before any economic decisions (restructuring, closing a department) are made. Please consult the The Working Environment Act.
- Labor Laws
The Working Environment Act
- Social Dialogue and Involvement of Social Partners
- Norway has strong traditions in collective bargaining and trade unions hold a prominent position. Strong emphasis is placed on central organizations of employers and employees. Compulsory collective agreements supplement legislation in wages, working conditions and benefits. Results of central wage negotiations between the large employee's and employer's organizations serve as guidelines for the local wage negotiations.
- Unionization Rate
- 60 %.
Norwegian Confederation of Trade Unions
Confederation of Unions for Professionals
Federation of Norwegian Professional Associations
- Regulation Bodies
Ministry of Labor and Social Inclusion
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Contracts in Norway!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Norvegian companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: