Reaching the Consumer in Norway
- Growing Sectors
- Consumer products and information and communications technology.
- Consumer Behavior
- Norwegians are very patriotic and often choose domestic products. Environmental issues are also important for consumers. Norwegian consumers are interested in new products (especially ICT-products and consumer electronics) and are willing to pay for quality. Compared with the Danish or Swedish consumers, Norwegians are not as price sensitive and are willing to spend more, especially when buying durable goods. The right price-quality relationship is usually more important than just the low price. In many regards, the consumer behavior is similar to other West-European countries
- Consumer Profile and Purchasing Power
Norwegians are wealthy and purchasing power is very high. Norway's
own production consists mostly of raw materials and semi-manufactured
products, so many consumer products are imported. The wealth in Norway
is also evenly distributed, so every Norwegian is an enabled consumer.
Due to these opportunities, the competition is strict, especially with
Three quarters of Norwegians live in the southern parts of Norway. The rest of the population is dispersed to small centers around the country. Therefore, because of the long distances and high transportation costs, it might be wise to focus the sales efforts to the southern areas of the country.
- Consumer Recourse to Credit
- Products with consumer credit will be favored over similar products without it.
- Consumers Associations
Forbrukerportalen , The Consumer Council of Norway
Media in Which to Advertise
TV has a big impact. TV2, TV3 and TV Norge are the most popular channels.
has one of the highest newspaper readerships in the world, so press has
a big impact. Norwegians prefer local newspapers over nationals, but
the two biggest national papers, Verdens Gang and Aftenposten, are
widely read throughout the country.
not the most appreciated form of advertisement. Although marketing via
Internet and other technologies is increasingly popular, consumer still
value concrete and tangible brochures and marketing materials.
- In Transportation Venues
on transportation and public areas has been available for many years.
Advertisements can be found on public buses, bus and railway stations
and roadside billboards.
Morten i Kerr
advertising has a significant impact. There are several competing radio
stations. Stations that are popular among commuters are especially
significant for advertising purposes.
P4 Radio Helge Norge
- New Technologies (E-Marketing, SMS, etc.)
Internet and text messages are becoming increasingly more popular.
Google Directory - List of Internet advertising firms
- Main Advertising Agencies
Main Principles of Advertising Regulations
- Advertising alcoholic drinks with more than 2,75% alcohol per volume is prohibited.
- All forms of tobacco advertising are banned.
- Advertising prescription drugs towards the general public is banned.
- Other Rules
- Advertising that targets children is prohibited. Advertising political or religious views is banned in television broadcasts. Advertising weapons and toy weapons is banned. Advertising may not conflict the equality between the sexes or be derogatory. Advertising may not be incorrect or misleading or run counter to good business practice. There is a general ban on advertisements 10 minutes before and after children's programs in television or radio. Advertising is regulated in The Marketing Control Act.
- Use of Foreign Languages in Advertisement
- Television advertisements usually have subtitles when they are in another language. In general the use of a foreign language does not lead to any problems.
- Organizations Regulating Advertising
The Marketing Control Act
The Consumer Ombudsman
The Consumer Council
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Reaching the Consumer in Norway!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Norvegian companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: