Domestic Transportation in Norway
Means of Transport Recommended in Town
- Norway has an excellent transportation system. Public transportation is generally safe and the condition of roads is mainly good. Taxis are expensive, but usually easily available. Taxis can be hailed from the street or picked up from a taxi rank. All taxis accept common credit cards. Oslo has a well-functioning underground service and trams.
- Maps of Urban Networks
Network maps for public transportation in Oslo
- Urban Transport Agencies
- Find an Itinerary
The Subway navigator website lets you find an itinerary in all the largest urban centers in all the countries in the world
- Taxi Companies
Transportation From Airport to City Centre:
|Oslo - Gardermoen (OSL)||38 km / 24 miles||NOK 540-900 / 30 min||NOK 120||NOK 160 / 19-22 min||Available|
Means of Transport Recommended in the Rest of the Country
Trains can be used to get from city to city. Local transport in the
cities is generally efficient and served mainly by public buses at
reasonable prices. Road transportation is the dominant form of
transport due to long distances and low population density.
Extensive system of ferries and express boats link Norway's coastal towns, fjords and islands. Ferries are mostly roll-on, roll-off car ferries. Small islands are served by water buses.
- Rail Companies
Norwegian State Railways
Airport Express Train (runs between Gardermoen and Oslo)
|Name||Type||Domestic Flights||International Flights|
|Norwegian Air Shuttle||low cost||Yes||Yes|
You Can Consult the List of Airlines Banned Within the EU. Look Also at the rating of the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
Traveling By Yourself
rentals are expensive, but easily available. Roads can be narrow and
winding in the mountainous areas. Winter tires are mandatory on all
motor vehicles from November to April. Road conditions can vary
greatly, depending on weather and time of the year. Roadside assistance
can be limited in the rural areas. Headlights should be on at all times
Norway is not ideal for cycling due to the long distances and hilly terrain.
- Driver's License
- If your licence is not issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country, an International Driver's Permit (IDP) may be required.
- Conditions For Renting a Vehicle
- Full valid licence issued in the country of residence and held for at least a year is required. Minimum age for car hire is 19, but companies may require a higher age.
- Rental Agencies
Avis (in Norwegian)
Budget (in Norwegian)
- Tolls or Taxes
- Highway tolls are common in Norway. The fees are normally between NOK 15 - 30 for a light vehicle (under 3 501 kg ). Detailed information can be found here.
- Road Maps
- Find an Itinerary
Norwegian Public Road Administration
Via Michelin Norway
- Parking Facilities
- Parking is not allowed on main roads, but there are many municipal parking lots.
Rules of the Road
- Minimum Driving Age
- Side of the Road For Driving
- Speed Limits
Motorway: 90kph or 56mph
Town: 50kph or 31mph
Open road: 80kph or 50mph
- Safety Belts
- Permitted Amount of Alcohol in the Blood
- The maximum legal blood alcohol content level is 0,2 promile. Strict penalties for driving while intoxicated.
- National Roads Organizations
The Norwegian Public Roads Administration
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Domestic Transportation in Norway!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Norvegian companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: