Political Conditions in Saudi Arabia
- Type of State
- Saudi Arabia is an absolute monarchy where the King has supreme powers.
- Executive Power
- King is both the chief of the state and head of the government. The monarch is hereditary. Council of Ministers (cabinet) is appointed by the monarch and includes many royal family members. The Council of Ministers has both legislative and executive powers, subject to the King's approval.
- Legislative Power
- There is no elected legislature in Saudi Arabia. A Consultative Council was appointed in August 1993 which has 120 members and a chairman appointed by the King for four-year terms. This Council has limited powers and does not affect decision making or power structures in a meaningful way. The population of Saudia Arabia has limited political rights.
- Main Political Parties
- No political parties are allowed in Saudi Arabia. However, a party called Green Party of Saudi Arabia, which promotes the values of the worldwide Green movement, exists as an illegal organization. The first Saudi Arabian municipal elections were held in the year 2005.
- Current Political Leaders
King and Prime Minister: Abd Allah ibn `Abd al-`Aziz Al Faysal Al Sa`ud (since August 2005) - hereditary.
Heir Apparent: Crown Prince SULTAN bin Abd al- Aziz Al Saud - half brother of the King.
- Next Election Dates
- Municipal elections, scheduled for 2009, has been postponed indefinitely.
Indicator of Freedom of the Press
- World Rank:
- 2 places down compared to 2008
Indicator of Political Freedom
- Not Free
- Political Freedom:
- Civil Liberties:
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Political Conditions in Saudi Arabia!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: