Domestic Transportation in Saudi Arabia
Means of Transport Recommended in Town
Taxis services are available from all main airports to the traveler's destination. The fare should be negotiated in advance. Service taxis which are shared by people charge fare equivalent to buses.
Buses operated by Saudi Arabian Public Transport Company (SAPTCO) are comfortable and usually follow schedule.
- Maps of Urban Networks
- Urban Transport Agencies
Saudi Arabian Public Transport Company (SAPTCO)
- Find an Itinerary
Transportation From Airport to City Centre:
|Riyadh Intl (RUH)||33 km / 21 miles||SAR 60 / 30 min||-||-||Available|
|Jeddah (JED)<||17 km / 11 miles||SAR 45-100 / 25-35 min||SAR 50/30-40 min||-||Available|
|Dammam (DMM)||24 km / 15 miles||BHD 50||SAR 10 / 45 min||-||Available|
|Taif (TIF)||28 km of Taif, 77 km of Meccakm / 18 miles of Taif, 48 miles of Mecca||SAR 40-100 / 20-30 min||-||-||-|
Means of Transport Recommended in the Rest of the Country
- Taxis remain the most suitable means of transport for foreigners. They are regulated by government.
- Rail Companies
Saudi Railways Organisation (SRO)
|Name||Type||Domestic Flights||International Flights|
|NAS Air||Low cost||Yes||No|
|Saudi Arabian Airlines||Major||Yes||Yes|
|Jazeera airways||Low cost||Yes||Yes|
|Sama Airlines||Low cost||Yes||No|
You Can Consult the List of Airlines Banned Within the EU. Look Also at the rating of the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
Traveling By Yourself
- Disobeying traffic signals and driving beyond speed limits is common practice. These are also the main reasons for high rate of traffic accidents. Within cities taxi or renting a car is highly recommended. Most road signs are in Arabic, though, many of them are in English too.
- Driver's License
- Foreigners can drive in Saudi Arabia with a recognized international driving permit for up to three months after entering the country. After the lapse of this period a Saudi license is required. The country allows the licenses from certain countries, which include the USA and UK, to be converted into Saudi license.
- Conditions For Renting a Vehicle
The minimum age is 25. An international driving license is required.
- Rental Agencies
- Tolls or Taxes
- Road Maps
- Find an Itinerary
Live Search Maps
- Traffic Conditions Online
The Weather Channel
- Parking Facilities
- Considering that the temperatures rise really high, covered parking facilities are necessary. Newly constructed apartment blocks have specified underground facilities for parking where as villas have their own garages. Commercial centers have multilayered or basement parkings.
Rules of the Road
- Minimum Driving Age
18 for private vehicles and 21 for public vehicles. Visit: Riyadh Regional Traffic
- Side of the Road For Driving
- Speed Limits
- Residential streets and local roads: 30 km/hr; Towns: 50km/hr; Highways: 100km/hr.
- Safety Belts
- Permitted Amount of Alcohol in the Blood
- Zero (Drinking of alcohol is not permitted)
- National Roads Organizations
Ministry of Transport
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Domestic Transportation in Saudi Arabia!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: