FDI in South Korea
FDI in Figures
Under the effect of the world's recession, the flows of foreign direct investment (FDI) have reduced in 2009; later on, they started to slowly increase again with the recovery, a trend that should be confirmed in 2011.
South Korea's appeal in terms of foreign direct investment (FDI) is the result of the country's fast economic development and the specialization of its industry in new information and communication technologies. However, the lack of general transparency in regulations is a major concern to foreign investors.
|Foreign Direct Investment||2007||2008||2009|
|FDI Inward Flow (million USD)||2,628||8,409||5,844|
|FDI Stock (million USD)||119,630||94,680||110,770|
|Performance Index*, Ranking on 141 Economies||137||123||124|
|Potential Index**, Ranking on 141 Economies||16||16||-|
|Number of Greenfield Investments***||72||86||96|
|FDI Inwards (in % of GFCF****)||0.9||3.1||1.3|
|FDI Stock (in % of GDP)||11.4||10.2||13.3|
Note: * The UNCTAD Inward FDI Performance Index is Based on a Ratio of the Country's Share in Global FDI Inflows and its Share in Global GDP. ** The UNCTAD Inward FDI Potential Index is Based on 12 Economic and Structural Variables Such as GDP, Foreign Trade, FDI, Infrastructures, Energy Use, R&D, Education, Country Risk. *** Green Field Investments Are a Form of Foreign Direct Investment Where a Parent Company Starts a New Venture in a Foreign Country By Constructing New Operational Facilities From the Ground Up. **** Gross Fixed Capital Formation (GFCF) Measures the Value of Additions to Fixed Assets Purchased By Business, Government and Households Less Disposals of Fixed Assets Sold Off or Scrapped.
FDI Inflows By Countries and Industry
|Main Investing Countries||2008, in %|
|Main Invested Sectors||2008, in %|
|Real estate, renting and business activities||9.3|
|Transport, storage, communications||6.2|
Source: OECD Stat Extracts
- Form of Company Preferred By Foreign Investors
- Limited Company
- Form of Establishment Preferred By Foreign Investors
- Greenfield investment (that for manufacturing differs from others Greenfield investment because it includes now only factory establishment, but also sales facilities).
- Main Foreign Companies
- Click here for the succesful stories of FDI on Invest Korea.
- Sources of Statistics
Statistics from Invest Korea
Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Energy (MOCIE)
Korea National Statistical Office
Why You Should Choose to Invest in South Korea
- Strong Points
- The Korean workforce is highly skilled. The R&D capabilities, as well as the quality of the infrastructures are deciding strong points for investors.
- Weak Points
- The laws and national regulations are restrictive and the manpower cost is high. Private real estate, as well as renting office or shop premises is expensive. Lastly, competitiveness is relatively restrained.
- Government Measures to Motivate or Restrict FDI
Korea has implemented measures in order to protect Foreign Investment:
- External Remittance guarantees;
- Identical treatment to domestic firms with regard to business operations;
- Tax deductions provisions.
However, there are restrictions or prohibitions in terms of foreign investment in sectors of public administration, educational organizations, national defense, etc. For more information, see the Invest Korea website.
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to FDI in South Korea!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: