Contracts in Spain
The Active Population in Figures
|Labor Force||20 885 700||21 584 800||22 404 500|
|Labor Force (Annual Growth, %)||3.46||3.35||3.80|
|Rate of Activity (%)||57.7||58.6||59.1|
|Unemployment Rate (%)||8.7||8.3||8.6|
|Employed Persons, by Occupation (% of Total Labor Force)||2006|
Management of Human Resources
- Method of Recruitment
- The application package sent must contain a CV and references; a cover letter (carta de presentación) is not always asked. Internet is used more and more; however in some regions, the companies prefer the candidate to directly introduce himself on the spot and submit his application. The recruitment method is face-to-face interview.
- Recruitment Agencies
- The INEM is the official employment agency.
Recruitment agencies ( Michael Page), and temping agencies ( Kelly Services), are present and help people find jobs. The regions also have a help service to help find a job.
- Recruitment Websites
- Type of Contract
- The labor contract can be written or oral; for an indefinite period or for a defined duration, training contract, relief contract, termporary contract for work or defined assignment.
For further information, please visit the website of INEM or refer the labor guide from the Department of Labor and Social Welfare.
- Breach of Contracts
- Retirement age is 65 or 64 years (full rate) or minimum 15 years contribution to Social Security (proportional rate). There is also a partial retirement which enables the retired person to leave and for a young or unemployed person to take his place by training him ("contrato de relevo", relief contract).
- The different types of dismissals/ layoffs: force majeure, mass layoff for economic, technical, organizational or production related motives , serious mistake or objective causes.
- Other Possible Methods
- Resignation, non-fulfilment of the contract by the employer, mutual agreement, contract clauses, end of duration of the contract or execution of work or services of the contract, death, retirement, invalidity, complete and permanent incapacity of the worker or employer.
- Labor Laws
- Labor laws
- Cases of Dispute
- Working conditions, harassment, discrimination, laying off, not respecting labor contract, etc.
- Legal Framework
- R.D.LG. 2/95 (in Spanish), Ley 22/03, Ley 45/02, R.D.LG. 1/95, L.O. 1/04, L.O. 3/07.
- Each Autonomous Community has developed its own legislation in this matter. A company established in several Autonomous Communities is subject to the regulations of the State. A request for arbitration must be submitted following which the labor authority (Autoridad Laboral) makes an attempt to arbitrate. If an agreement is not reached, the worker must file a request with the Social Welfare Tribunal which will take a decision.
- Legal Framework
- Ley Organica 6/1985, de 1 de julio
- Competent Legal Body
- Juzgados de lo social (Social Affairs Tribunal)
- Social Dialogue and Involvement of Social Partners
- There are about forty trade unions (general or regional) and a large number of sector-based / regional unions (gremios).
- Unionization Rate
- Union membership is low: around 14%.
- National Labor Union
Association of Trade Unions
- Regulation Bodies
- Department of Labor and Social welfare
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
The outlook of the Franchise sector for 2009 in Spain is that it will be a very challenging year to introduce new franchises. It is likely that the total revenue will be slightly lower than in 2008, while new openings of outlets will not compensate for expected closures.
U.S. Commercial Service Poland on 16 Feb 2010 related to Contracts in Spain
License contracts in Spain may cover industrial property rights (patents, utility models, trademarks), intellectual property rights (rights of use for literary, scientific, artistic works, or software), know-how, or other uses of technology.
U.S. Commercial Service Poland on 24 Feb 2010 related to Contracts in Spain
Find the related Spanish companies with Kompass:
U.S. Department Of Commerce, Spain