Distribution Networks in Spain

Overview by Globlatrade.net:

Types of Outlet

Hypermarkets, supermarkets and superettes
Located in city outskirts. Both food and non-food products are found here. Superettes are smaller retail outlets than supermarkets and are located in cities.
Carrefour, Eroski, Alcampo
Specialized superstores
Hypermarkets specializing in a family of products.
Pronovias (wedding dresses), Fnac Spain (cultural products), Decathlon (sports goods).
Departmental stores
Located downtown on several floors. There are different specialized departments.
El Corte Ingles
Shopping centers
Located in city outskirts or downtown. Usually you find a hypermarket and a shopping mall here.
Madrid Shopping Centers, Barcelona Shopping Centers.
Mainly for food products. They offer distributor brand products or unbranded products. They are preferred for their discount prices.
Lidl, Aldi, Dia
Retail traders
Local specialized stores: grocery store, butcher's store, fish shop, fruits and vegetables store, cheese store, delicatessen, baker's store, cake store, florists. Preferred for the quality of their products, the human touch and their suggestions and advice.

Evolution of the Retail Sector

Growth and Regulation
The distribution market in Spain is very focussed and specialized.. In 2005, the turnover from retail trade increased to 194 billion Euros which was an increase of 5.6% compared to 2004. Some Autonomous Communities impose restrictions for the establishment of superstores and shopping centers.
Market Shares
Distribution in Spain is still characterized by a large number of retailers and traditional stores. Retail trade, which employs 3.1 million persons (2007), is seeing its relative influence in the economy decreasing gradually. Its global turnover reached 194 billion Euros (2005) and was achieved by the 646,000 retail businesses that Spain had (14.6 per 1,000 inhabitants).

The distribution sector in Spain has developed a lot with the potential increase of mass distribution (currently in focus) recently, specialized chains and shopping centers. The consumer, whose purchasing power has increased thanks to the economic growth and the decrease in unemployment is looking for the best quality/price ratio and the variety of the offer. The new state of affairs (slower growth and rising unemployment) makes him turn towards discount stores that he had been staying away from. In any case, he continues to prefer local supermarkets to hypermarkets located on the outskirts.

Organized distribution is dominated by:
- El Corte Ingles (super stores, hypermarkets, supermarkets and all types of specialized brand names with 25% of the turnover from 10 leaders,
- Carrefour (hypermarkets, supermarkets, discount stores) with 20%,
- Mercadona
(supermarkets) with 15%,
- Eroski-Caprabo
(hypermarkets and supermarkets) with 12.7%,
- Inditex (ready-made garments : Zara, etc.) with 11%,
- Alcampo (hypermarkets and supermarkets) with 7.3%, etc.


Organizations in the Retail Sector
National Association of Mass Distribution Companies(ANGED)

Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.

Read more See less
Experts Views (2)
Hot Tips (4) Go Top
  • Electronic Commerce in Spain

    As indicated above, e-commerce is making steady progress in Spain. The B2C market is estimated to have generated USD 6.4 billion in 2007.

    U.S. Commercial Service Poland on 24 Feb 2010 related to Distribution Networks in Spain

  • Selling Factors/Techniques in Spain

    Relationships are still very important in selling U.S. products in Spain, sometimes as important as price or quality, especially in large account sales. The decision-making process within a Spanish company is different from that in the United States.

    U.S. Commercial Service Poland on 24 Feb 2010 related to Distribution Networks in Spain

  • Distribution and Sales Channels in Spain

    As a result of the growth of the Spanish economy, distribution has become a key factor in supplying the consumer market. Sales channels to consumers have developed significantly in the last few years, ranging from traditional distribution methods

    U.S. Commercial Service Poland on 24 Feb 2010 related to Distribution Networks in Spain

  • Franchising In Spain

    The franchise sector has been a steady performer over the past several years. Spanish franchisors account for 83 percent of the systems; the remaining 17 percent are from the United States, France, Italy, Portugal and the UK.

    U.S. Commercial Service Poland on 24 Feb 2010 related to Distribution Networks in Spain

Post your content


Post content about Distribution Networks in Spain and you will be listed here to receive requests for offers.

Contact our expert contributors
  • How2Go Consultoría de...

    Internationalization Consulting, Brazil

  • U.S. Commercial Service Poland

    U.S. Department Of Commerce, Spain