Sightseeing in Spain
Tourism and Culture
Different Forms of Tourism
- There are many prehistoric sites (the Altamira caves). The eight centuries of Muslim invasion have left traces (the Alhambra). A number of castles, palaces, and medieval cities (Toledo).
Spain is a country with strong Catholic culture, but also Muslim and Jewish culture, since these 3 religions have coexisted (Toledo).
Various sites registered in the world heritage sites of UNESCO.
Various museums to visit: all the museums listed on the Ministry of Culture website.
Folklore and traditions present during the fairs or the various festivals.
A number of theatre and dance festivals, concerts, bullfights, etc. especially during summer.
- Many natural and national parks
Pilgrimage of Santiago de Compostela
Numerous churches, monasteries, convents, mosques and synagogues to visit.
- A number of spas the tradition of which dates back to the Greek, Roman and Arab occupations.
- With a vast Mediterranean coast without tides and sunshine, Spain is a paradise for "sunshine and beach" tourism. In the North, the Atlantic coast, often steeper, is especially suitable for water sports.
- Winter Sports
- Spain has around thirty winter sports resorts spread across the Pyrenees and the different mountain ranges of this mountainous country. The most popular is Baqueira-Beret in the Aran Valley (Catalonia), the southern most is near Grenada.
- Outdoor Activities
Golf , big and small game hunting, river and sea fishing, sailing, scuba diving, horseback tourism, paragliding, hang-gliding, rafting.
Theme parks: Port Aventura, Terra Mitica, Isla Magica.
Many water parks.
All the big Spanish cities offer significant options: presence of outlets of all the major Spanish and international brands (especially Madrid and Barcelona). Large shops El Corte Ingles, business centers, etc. Various products and artistic souvenirs can be bought during the fairs or markets.
|Top Highlights of the Capital City|
|Royal palace of Madrid|
|Queen Sofia Museum|
|The Mayor Plaza|
|Promenade of the Castilian|
|Congress of Members of Parliament|
|Open air sculpture museum|
- Tourism Organizations
Ministry of Culture
National office of Tourism in Spain
Spanish association of countryside tourism
- Cultural Organizations
Cervantes Institute (in Spanish)
Todo sobre Espana
Spanish association of culture and tradition
Spanish and flamenco dance professor's association
- For Further Information
Ministry of Culture
Ministry of Industry, Tourism and Commerce
Individual and Civic Freedoms
- Political Freedom
- Total, except for terrorist organizations (ban on the political party Batasuna).
- Civil Liberty
- Freedom of the Press
World Ranking of Freedom of the Press According to "Reporters sans Frontières", 2009 report : 45/175
Evolution: 6 places down compared to 2008
- For Further Information, Consult Worldwide Press Freedom Index 2009, Reporters Without Borders
- Free Access to the Internet
- Freedom of Assembly
- Rule of Law
- Rule of law.
- Personal Autonomy and Individual Rights
- Women's Condition
In fact, the prevailing male chauvinism leads to violences and murders. There are also differences in salaries between men and women.
- For Further Information
The Country Report published by Freedom House
Global categorization 2006 of the freedom of the Press by Reporter without boundaries
- Degree of Freedom
- Catholics 77% (50% practising) ; Muslims, Protestants, etc.: 3% ; non believers: 19%.
- Role of Religion in Society
- The Spanish society has been dechristianizing gradually since the advent of democracy. However the Spanish episcopal conference is attempting to influence the political choices of the people. The teachings give a choice between catechism and civic education which is strongly opposed in the regions controlled by the right. The IRPF provides for an option to make financial payments in favor of the Church.
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Sightseeing in Spain!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Spanish companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: