Business Practices in Sweden
- The Fundamental Principles of Business Culture
- The internal organization of Swedish companies tends to be less hierarchical than in many other countries. Thus the CEO of a company is closer to his staff. Equality in the workplace and job security are leading priorities. The Swedish people believe firmly in the virtues of compromise and consensus when making decisions or looking for solutions. A business decision is never made at a first meeting, which is essentially just a first contact.
- First Contact
- Take your appointment at least two weeks ahead of time. Avoid scheduling meetings over the Christmas period, and during June, July and August, as these are holiday periods.
- Shake hands quickly and firmly. If you are wearing gloves, take them off. You can adress someone by their first name.
- How to Present Yourself
- Punctuality is essential, especially in business. If you are going to be late, phone and tell them. Swedish people are direct and open, be like them! Avoid putting your hands in your pockets, it is not the done thing.
- Business Relations
- Swedish people like to build up informal work relations. Give your contacts time to prepare for a meeting or a mission. Be smiling and attentive.
- In business, exchanging gifts does not usually take place.
- Business Communication
- Although English is commonly used in the Swedish business world, it is good to know as much Swedish as possible. Do not interrupt people. The "fika", coffee break, is a time to relax, a time to have a chat.
- Dress Code
- Suit and tie for men, suits for women. Avoid wearing colours which are too gaudy..
- Visiting Cards
- Just translate into English as the Swedish speak English. Carry several visiting cards with you because they are often exchanged.
- For Further Information
Official portal, very useful for knowing how to do business in Sweden.
Advice for business relations
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Business Practices in Sweden!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Swedish companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: