Immigration in Sweden

Overview by

Passport and Visa Requirements

Passport and Visa Service
Consult Swedish entry requirements on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.
For Further Information
To consult the list of Embassies and Consulates, visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.
For visa requirements and health advices based on your personal details and itinerary, check IATA Travel Website.

Return to top

Taxes and Restrictions On Persons When Going Through Customs

Taxation On Persons
No taxes.
Import for EU member countries: Tobacco (from age 18) : 800 cigarettes, 400 cigarillos, 200 cigars, 1 kg of tobacco.
Import for non-EU countries: 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco.
Import for EU countries: Alcohol (from age 20) : 10 liters of alcohol (>22°), 20 liters of fortified wine (15-22º), 90 liters of wine (maximum 15º, but not more than 60 liters of sparkling wine), 110 liters of strong beer (>3,5º).
Import for non-EU countries: Alcohol (from age 20) : 1 liter d’alcool (>22°), 2 liters of fortified wine (15-22º), 2 liters of wine (maximum 15º), 32 liters of strong beer (>3,5º).
Import from non-EU countries: authorized but in reasonable quantities.
Foreign Currency
No restrictions.
Obligatory Declaration of Foreign Currency
Above 10 000 EUR.
Local Currency
No restrictions.
Obligatory Declaration of Local Currency
Above 10 000 EUR.
How to Refund Consumption Tax
Visitors from outside the EU are entitled to a refund of VAT paid on goods purchased during their stay in the EU, provided the goods are produced to Customs on leaving the EU together with the VAT refund documents. These documents are usually prepared by the merchant the goods are purchased from.
For further information, consult the European Commission Taxation and Customs Union website.
Other Requirements
Import for EU countries:
Foodstuffs: 15 kg of meat and by-products, 15 kg of fish, crustaceans and shellfish.
Milk, cheese, butter, or eggs must be in the traveler's personal baggage.

Prohibited imports for non-EU countries: drugs, firearms, munitions, arms, meat, dairy products, eggs, plants, potatoes, endangered species, fireworks, alcoholic beverages (> 60% d'alcool).

Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.

Read more See less

No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Immigration in Sweden!

  • Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
  • By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on but across the web

Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.

Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:

Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.


Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.

The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.

Check these sample pages for illustration: