Sightseeing in Sweden
Tourism and Culture
Different Forms of Tourism
The whole of the south of Sweden is full of castles and manor houses: Häckeberga at Malmö, the Sofiero royal residence at Helsingborg, the castle of Kronovall at Wanås. In the west, visit the castles of Läckö and of Gunnebo, the manors of Näs, Bränntorp, Knivsta and Ronnum. Ystad is a medieval town with half-timbered houses. Kalmar is an old city with a very fine castle.
You should also visit the royal way at Ekolsund, the "favorite" castle of Gustav III in the 18th century.
Museums are closed on Mondays.
The towns, villages and countryside of the south are full of museums, galleries, theatres and contemporary scenes. Göteborg and Malmö are important cultural centers. Visit the Duncker cultural center in Helsingborg and the Kulturen center in Lund, the Tjörn Nordic Watercolor Museum and the Museum of Sketches at Lund.
Skane and the island of Gotland are much appreciated destinations..
National Parks: Abisko, Stora Sjöfallet, Sarek, Padjelanta, Stenshuvud.
You should discover: Morrum, the island of Öland, the island of Gotland, Motala on the edge of the Gota Canal, Stockholm's islands, Dalarna, the lakes of West Gotland, Dalsland, Småland and East Gotland.
- Many churches (Själevad, Anundsjö, St Petri, Kristine Church in Falun, etc.) and the Cathedral of Lund are worth visiting.
Varberg spa resort on the coast of Halland (19th century); see the wooden cold baths establishment dating from 1902.
The bathing establishment of the Tylösand Hotel, Atlantis Spa at Jönköping in Småland, Skedemosse Gård at Öland, Suderhälsan at Gotland, Solsidan at Torekov in Skane.
The High Coast (Höga kusten) is a UNESCO world heritage site.
Along the coast of the islands of Öland and Gotland, you can find the spectacular « raukar » (limestone formations). You should also see the beaches of Varamobaden on Lake Vattern.
- Winter Sports
- The center and the north of Sweden have many winter and all-season resorts. The Vasaloppet (world famous cross-country skiing race) attracts tens of thousands of competitors each year.
- Outdoor Activities
- All seasons are good for practising outdoor activities: skiing, skating, glacier climbing, trekking, mountain climbing, rafting, canoeing, sailing, etc. The Swedish coast and the islands offer a wide range of watersports, click here.
- Stockholm is well-known for being a design center. The shops in Stockholm are open over the weekend. Göteborg is a pleasant city for shopping because everything is grouped together in the city center and you can do everything on foot. . Malmö is home to the Form Design Center (the oldest Swedish design and craft center).
|Top Highlights of the Capital City|
|The royal castle|
|The City Hall|
|Birger Jarls Torn|
|The ecological park|
|The National Museum|
|The Museum of National Antiquities|
|Drottningholm Slott castle and theatre|
|Top Highlights of the Country|
|Kalmar, the Kingdom of glass and Öland|
|Dalarna, Swedish folklore|
|Cruise on the Göta canal|
|Äre Swedish alpine center|
Individual and Civic Freedoms
- Political Freedom
- Civil Liberty
- Freedom of the Press
- The press enjoys great freedom. The fundamental law on freedom of expression (1992) allows freedom of establishment, prohibits censure, gives the right to anonymity and protection of sources, allows editorial responsibility, legal procedure, and publication of official documents. This law covers radio, television, cinema, video and databases accessible to the public.
World Ranking of Freedom of the Press According to "Reporters sans Frontières", 2009 report : 5/175
Evolution: 6 places up compared to 2008
- For Further Information, Consult Worldwide Press Freedom Index 2009, Reporters Without Borders
- Free Access to the Internet
- Freedom to consult Internet.
- Freedom of Assembly
Freedom of the right to assemble, to organize or to attend a gathering to obtain information or express an opinion or for any other similar purpose, or with the aim of presenting an artistic project.
Freedom to demonstrate, to organize or take part in a demonstration in a public place.
- Rule of Law
- Personal Autonomy and Individual Rights
- Human Rights are respected.
- Women's Condition
- Since 2000, women have been in the majority in the government. Legislation aims to establish equality between women and men in terms of salary and career prospects.
- For Further Information
The Country Report published by Freedom House
The 2006 world ranking on freedom of the Press by Reporters without Borders
- Degree of Freedom
- Freedom of worship guaranteed by the constitution.
- 80% Evangelical-Lutheran. 8 religions are recognized, besides the Church of Sweden.
- Role of Religion in Society
- Religion in Swedish society has not become less important, it has evolved. The Evangelical-Lutheran church is more liberal and has a more modern interpretation. Only 1% of Swedish people think religion is important in everyday life, but 8 Swedes out of 10 are members of the Church of Sweden.
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Sightseeing in Sweden!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Swedish companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: