Contracts in Syria
The Active Population in Figures
|Labor Force (Annual Growth, %)||-|
|Rate of Activity (%)||-|
|Unemployment Rate (%)||20.0|
|Employed Persons, by Occupation (% of Total Labor Force)||2002|
Ministry of Labor
Management of Human Resources
- Type of Contract
- The law is very specific and precise regarding the contracts of employment. The sources of labor legislation in the Syrian Arab Republic are law n°91 of April 5, 1959 and legislative decree n°49 of July 3, 1962. The contract must be drawn up in Arabic with a duplicate, with a copy for each party (art. 43, LC). The trial period is stated in the contract, but it cannot exceed 3 months (art. 44, LC). A contract of employment can be established for a short term period or for an unspecified period of time. If it is agreed for a short term period and both parties continue to comply with it after the expiration date, it must be renewed for an indefinite period of time (art. 71, LC).
- Breach of Contracts
- The decrees No. 349 and No. 120 of 1961 regulate pensions and retirement.
- Dismissals are difficult and costly. An employer cannot break a contract without a previous notice and without compensations, unless the employee has filled in one of the conditions stipulated in the article 76 of the labor code.
For more information, consult the site of the ILO (International Labor Organization).
- Other Possible Methods
- To be able to resign from their jobs, the employees of the public sector are required to obtain a prior authorization. This procedure is usually difficult and takes a long time.
- Labor Laws
All the textes about Labor Law
- Social Dialogue and Involvement of Social Partners
- The General Federation of Trade Unions (GFTU) is the organization which represents workers in Syria. Since 1968, a decree has obliged all the country's trade unions to belong to the GFTU. This organization is strictly controlled by the ruling Baath party. It coordinates most aspects of union activity and determines which sectors or activities may create a union or a federation. As a consequence, union action is minimal and strikes are very rare.
- Unionization Rate
- The unionization rate in Syria is 100 %. Belonging to a trade union is mandatory in order to be employed.
- Regulation Bodies
Syrian Ministry of Social Affairs and Labor.
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Contracts in Syria!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: