Continued growth in the LCD monitor segment is sustaining China’s computer monitor industry. Driving both product development and manufacture, this sector is expected to retain its dominance of the main stream supply for years to come.
Leveraging their core advantages of light weight, compact housing sand energy-saving features, LCD models accounted for 73 percent of the country’s PC monitor exports in the first 10 months of 2008 with 92.8 million units shipped. Meanwhile,the volume of CRT variants that went to overseas clients reached only 34.8million during the same period. The former’s share of the market will remain on an upward trend as makers expand selections in coming months.
China’s emphasis on LCD monitors reflects world wide trends. Data from iSuppli indicates global production of such models topped 34 billion units in 2008. Output of CRT units hit only 4 billion, according to Display Search.
Although companies faces lackening sales due to the current economic climate, many are confident export business will continue growing this year. More than half of the suppliers in this report project an upturn of 10 to 20 percent.
While some will concentrate on domestic clients to reduce dependence on overseas markets, a rising number of makers are exploring new areas to expand buyer reach in step with efforts to bolster foreign trade. They will be broadening product lineups, shortening development periods and decreasing defect rates. These strategies will be complemented by sustained R&D initiatives and cost-management programs.
The following are some of the keytrends in China’s computer monitor industry:
• Rising supply of larger LCD panels will boost the development and production of LCD monitors withscreens 19 in and bigger.
• CRT types will continue to be available but output will steadily decline in coming months as companies emphasize LCD models.
• Makers concentrate on OEM and ODM business, although a growing number of companies are establishing their own brands.
• To boost overseas business,suppliers are targeting new markets such as Africa while continuing expansions in Europe and Asia.
• Several will be reducing shipments to the US or concentrating on long-term clients there.
• Product development initiatives are moving toward additional TV and multimedia capability and enhanced housing designs.
• In addition to reducing power consumption, some makers will be adding HDMI or Display Portconnectivity.
• Manufacturers are planning to increase capital expenditure in months ahead, with the majority eyeing a 20 to 50 percent adjustment.
• Price competition is one of the major challenges that companies in this industry face. Fluctuating material costs exacerbate the situation for many suppliers.
The above is extracted from the Executive Summary of China Sourcing Report: Computer Monitors Industry
To learn more about this report, visit: http://www.chinasourcingreports.com/csr/computer-monitors
More Useful Links:
Global Sources Online: Verified suppliers for quality buyers.
Download Global Sources e-Magazines (free): For industry-specific news, product information & verified suppliers contact details.