Investment Opportunities in Tunisia
Protection of Foreign Investment
- Bilateral Investment Conventions Signed By Tunisia
- Tunisia is a signatory to agreements on guaranteeing and protecting investments with several countries.
- International Controversies Registered By UNCTAD
- No case of controversy.
Country Comparison For the Protection of Investors
|Tunisia||Middle East & North Africa||United States||Germany|
|Index of Transaction Transparency*||5.0||6.3||7.0||5.0|
|Index of Manager’s Responsibility**||5.0||4.6||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Shareholders’ Power***||6.0||3.4||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Investor Protection****||5.3||4.8||8.3||5.0|
Source: Doing Business
Note: *The Greater the Index, the More Transparent the Conditions of Transactions. **The Greater the Index, the More the Manager is Personally Responsible. *** The Greater the Index, the Easier it Will Be For Shareholders to Take Legal Action. **** The Greater the Index, the Higher the Level of Investor Protection.
Procedures Relative to Foreign Investment
- Freedom of Establishment
- Acquisition of Holdings
- Possible but you must obtain a business card from the Foreign Trade Services.
- Competent Organization For the Declaration
Agency for the promotion of foreign investment
- Requests For Specific Authorizations
- The agency for the promotion of foreign investment in the country gives information about the authorizations necessary for setting up business.
Office Real Estate and Land Ownership
- Possible Temporary Solutions
- There are several temporary solutions: domiciliation of the company at the private address of the director, domiciliation in a business center, lodging in relay-workshops, company "incubators" and renting professional premises.
- The Possibility of Buying Land and Industrial and Commercial Buildings
- Risk of Expropriation
- According to Tunisian law, foreign investors are entitled to compensation if they are victims of expropriation.
- Forms of Aid
- Tax relief on income or profits reinvested, up to 35% of income or profits subject to tax
- Exemption from Customs duty on capital goods when nothing similar is manufactured locally
- VAT limited to 10% when importing capital goods
- Possibility of choosing the regime of sliding scale amortizement for production material and equipment which is used for more than seven years.
- Privileged Domains
- Creating jobs, national and regional development, the agri-food field, protection of the environment, aid for Research and Development.
- Free Zones
There are two free zones in Tunisia:
- the Bizerte Free Zone
- the Zarzis Free Zone.
- The Key Sectors of the National Economy
- High Potential Sectors
- Privatization Programs
Industry and infrastructures: cement plants, production of electricity, building motorways, banks, waste water and solid waste treatment, telecommunications, water desalination, etc.
The privatization of UIB (6th Bank in Tunisia) and the transformation of the status of BTEI (Tunisia and the Emirates Investment Bank), the privatization of Banque du Sud and the restructuring of the insurance sector.
- Tenders, Projects and Public Procurement
Tenders Info, Tenders in Tunisia
Globaltenders, Tenders & Projects in Tunisia
Prime Ministry, Public Procurement Site of Tunisia
DgMarket, Tenders Worldwide
Sectors Where Investment Opportunities Are Fewer
- Monopolistic Sectors
- Agri-food business
- Sectors in Decline
Finding Assistance For Further Information
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Investment Opportunities in Tunisia!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: