Sightseeing in Turkey
Climate, Time Difference (0) , Communications (0) , Dining (0) , Domestic Transportation (0) , Language (0) , Lodging (2) , Sightseeing (1) , Travel Security (0) , Visas and Customs (0) , Weights, Measures, Adapters (0)
Overview by Globlatrade.net:
Tourism and Culture
Different Forms of Tourism
- The first known urban community in the world, the town of Çatalhöyük, dates from 6500 BC and is located in Turkey. From then to our day and age, Turkey has prided itself on civilizations which have crossed the centuries and made of the country a paradise of cultural wealth. Not only are ruins and unique remains witnesses to these centuries, but Turkey's contemporary history is fascinating, especially the work of Atatürk.
- Istanbul is full of markets, palaces and mosques. The shores of the Aegean Sea shelter archeological sites of leading importance, especially the ancient Greek cities of Ephesus, Pergamon and Troy.
Click here for further information.
- A blend of Mediterranean landscapes and oriental steppes, Turkey is characterized by mountainous lands, crossed by rivers and lakes, bordered by bathing coasts, both ancient and pastoral, and also spiked in the east by the volcano, Mount Ararat, and in the center by the Taurus mountains. Those who enjoy the unusual will be attracted to the coast of the Black Sea which stretches from Amasra to Trabzon. You can also admire some of nature's wonders such as Cappadocia and Pamukkale. To learn more...
- Greco-Roman sites are very numerous in Turkey and it is here you find the origins of Christianity. There are, of course, magnificent mosques, the most well-known of which are the Blue Mosque and Suleymaniye and also churches, vestiges of the Byzantine Empire, including the famous Hagia Sophia and a lot more still.
- An ideal destination for spas, thalassotherapy and water cures. You will be steeped in tradition and you will benefit from an unequalled quality of care. Situated on an important natural geothermal belt, from which comes the expression "Turkish bath", you will plunge into the heart of hot springs whose benefits were already renowned in Antiquity.
- Turkey has a multitude of seaside resorts and beaches in a protected natural paradise environment. You will find many watersports activities on dreamy beaches and a great variety of other sporting activities (sailing, diving...). In Turkey many resorts and beaches have obtained the blue flag.
- Winter Sports
- With its high mountains, covered with snow in summer and winter alike, and its top of the range resorts, Turkey is an important center for winter tourism, ideal for all sports which involve sliding or gliding, and extreme sports. On average there are 3m of snow all winter. You can practise Alpine skiing, mountain climbing and trekking. Click here to learn more
- Outdoor Activities
- The diversity of the landscape, and the presence of mountains, sea and rivers makes a wide range of activities possible: diving, sailing, surfing, rafting, trekking, potholing, microlighting, paragliding, horseriding, hunting, golf.....
- The bazaars of Istanbul and other large cities in Turkey are fascinating: pleasure for the eyes with refined, high-quality craftsmanship, pleasure for the senses with spices and unusual scents. Big modern shopping malls are side by side with traditional markets.
|Top Highlights of the Capital City|
|The Blue Mosque|
|The Byzantine hippodrome|
|The Islamic Arts Museum|
|The Sunken Palace Cistern|
|The Grand Bazaar|
|The Egyptian Market|
|Top Highlights of the Country|
|The old town of Bursa|
|The ruins of Ephesus|
|The village of Side|
|The mountains of Cappadocia|
|The Silk Road|
|Atatürk's mausoleum at Ankara|
|The beach of Patara|
|The Black Sea coast|
Individual and Civic Freedoms
- Political Freedom
- Civil Liberty
- Freedom of the Press
- Freedom of expression is guaranteed by the Constitution.
There are laws restricting the freedom of the press which have been relaxed recently.
- World Ranking of Freedom of the Press According to "Reporters sans Frontières", 2009 report : 123/175
- Evolution: 20 places down compared to 2008
- For Further Information, Consult Worldwide Press Freedom Index 2009, Reporters Without Borders
- Free Access to the Internet
- Freedom of Assembly
- Guaranteed in principle.
The police are more flexible than before concerning demonstrations, but they still keep a close watch on NGOs.
- Rule of Law
- Guaranteed, in spite of corruption at all levels.
- Personal Autonomy and Individual Rights
- Women's Condition
- Equality in the law, but women suffer from discrimination on the job market and are under-represented in politics.
They are emancipated in town and in the West of the country.
- For Further Information
- Degree of Freedom
- Non-religious country
- Muslims 96%. Others: Jews, Orthodox, Catholics and Protestants.
- Role of Religion in Society
- Quite influential according to milieu and social category.
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
Read more See less
Find the related Turkish companies with Kompass:
Support for your business
Contact our expert contributor
Travel Service Company, Egypt