Political Conditions in Ukraine
- Type of State
- Parliamentary democracy.
- Executive Power
- The President is the head of State and is elected by popular vote for a five-year term. The President is the commander-in-chief of the armed forces. The Prime Minister is appointed as the head of the government by the President after parliament selects him as the leader of the major political party or alliance to serve a five-year term. The executive power is shared between the President and the Prime Minister. The Cabinet of Ministers is selected by the Prime Minister; the only exceptions are the Foreign Minister and the Minister of Defense who are chosen by the President.
- Legislative Power
- The legislature in Ukraine is unicameral. The parliament called Supreme Council consists of 450 seats with its members chosen on a proportional basis from those parties that gain 3% or more of the national electoral vote; members serve five-year terms. The President has the power to dissolve the Supreme Council, if he so wishes. The people of Ukraine have limited political rights.
- Main Political Parties
The main political parties in Ukraine are:
Bloc Yulia Tymoshenko (129 members of the Supreme Council), led by a charismatic woman politician, Yulia Tymoshenko, who advocates the market economy and democratic values.
Party of the Regions (186 members of the Supreme Council), left-wing, advocates the increase of social spending and a pro-Russian foreign policy.
Popular Party "Our Ukraine" (81 members of the Supreme Council), the President's party which advocates political reform and massive privatization of the economy.
- Current Political Leaders
President: Viktor YANUKOVYCH (since February 2010) - Party of Regions
Prime Minister: Mykola AZAROV (since March 2010) - Party of Regions
- Next Election Dates
Supreme Council: March 2011
Indicator of Freedom of the Press
- World Rank:
- 3 places down compared to 2008
Indicator of Political Freedom
- Political Freedom:
- Civil Liberties:
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Political Conditions in Ukraine!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Ukrainian companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: