Political Conditions in the U.A.E.
- Type of State
- Federation uniting 7 Emirates : Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah and Umm al-Qaiwain.
- Executive Power
- Each Emirate is governed by an Emir and is under his administration. Every Emir preserves the autonomy for management of his Emirate's resources.
The Supreme Council of Emirs is the highest authority of UAE ; it holds legislative and executive powers. The Emir of Abu Dhabi, the biggest oil producing Emirate, has been President in 2004 and succeeded from his father. The Emir of Dubai has been nominated the Vice-President and Prime Minister.
- Legislative Power
- There is only one Chamber: The National Federal Council. It consists of 40 members of which 20 are appointed by the President and 20 are elected, each Emirate has a number of representatives equivalent to its demographical weight. Their mandate is for two years. This council has only consultative functions.
- Main Political Parties
- There are no political parties.
- Current Political Leaders
President : Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahayan (since November 2004)
Prime Minister : Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (since January 2006)
- Next Election Dates
Presidential Election : 2014
Designation of members of the National Federal Council : 2011
Indicator of Freedom of the Press
- World Rank:
- 17 places down compared to 2008
Indicator of Political Freedom
- Not Free
- Political Freedom:
- Civil Liberties:
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Political Conditions in the United Arab Emirates!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: