Employees in the U.A.E.
- Opening Hours
- Legal Weekly Duration
- 8 hours per day, 9 hours for employees of hotels and restaurant. During Ramadan month, the daily work duration is reduced by two hours for Muslim employees.
- Maximum Duration
- 48 hours a week.
- Night Hours
- Between 2100 hrs and 0400 hrs.
- Working Rest Day
- Once a week: on Thursday. Infact majority of companies also closed on Saturdays.
- Paid Annual Vacation
- 2 days per month if the contract period is greater than 6 months but less than one year.
30 days per year if the contract period is more than one year.
- Retirement Age
- 60 years, 55 years for women working in public sector and 65 years for judges.
- Child Labor and Minimum Age For Employment
- Labour by children below fifteen years is prohibited. The labor code is planning special provisions for children betwween 15 to 18 years.
- Informal Labor Market
- Illegal labour is widespread and various abuses are regularly reported especially with respect to Asian workers .
The Cost of Labor
- Minimum Wage
- There is no legal minimum salary.
- Average Wage
- The average annual salary is USD 25,000.
- Other Forms of Pay
- Pay For Overtime
- Overtime is paid 25% in addition to the normal salary of the employee.
- Pay For Rest Days Worked
- 50% in addition to the normal salary of the employee. It is not possible for the same employee to work on two consecutive Fridays unless it is a daily newpaper.
- Pay For Night Hours
- There is no special allowance for working at night.
- Pay For Overtime at Night
- For overtime between 2100 hrs and 0400 hrs in the morning, the employer should pay 50% in addition to his salary to the employee.
Social Security Costs
- The Areas Covered
Contributions Paid By the Employer: There is no social security system for non-national employees. The only obligation of the employer is to provide a health card to his employees, costing 300 AED. Since 2005, the Abu Dhabi Emirate has formulated the "Health Insurance Law" which imposes the obligation on companies based in this Emirate to subscribe to a social insurance for all its foreign employees and their families (spouses and minors).
The nationals belonging to them have a free access to healthcare.
Contributions Paid By the Employee: Foreign employees are recommended to subscribe to an additional insurance.
- Competent Organization
The General Authority for Pensions and Social Security.
Abu Dhabi Retirement Pensions and Benefits Fund
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Employees in the United Arab Emirates!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: