Sales in the U.A.E.
Reaching the Consumers
- Consumer Behavior
- The Emirates consumers are above all guided by the price in their purchase decisions. Today, the nationals are more and more sensitive to other considerations like product quality, existence of after-sales service or even the degree of innovation in the product. They are also sensitive in following their customs and traditions and in view of this perspective an Arabic packaging is recommended.
- Consumer Profile and Purchasing Power
- People from Emirates are a young population. They have very high standard of living. They are curious vis-a-vis new techologies and products. They are always looking for the most modern equipment particularly in the field of mobile telephony and information technology. From another point of view, they are very conscious of brand image for luxury products and everything.
- Consumers Associations
Department of Consumer protection , attached to the Ministry of Economy.
- Main Advertising Agencies
Directory of the main advertising agencies operating in the UAE.
Distributing a Product
- Evolution of the Sector
- There are a number of selling methods possible in Emirates and among them direct selling can be pointed out. However this mode remains very less widespread.
The most widespread custom is to market your products through local commercial agent . It is recommended to choose from different distributors or commercial agents in each Emirate. Imports and exports of food products are typically entrusted to companies specialised in this field. This market is dominated by 5 or 6 companies. However, a growing number of food distributors import directly themselves become a distributor and a wholesaler for other more modest establishments. Finally, the companies have the tendency to use the geographical position of Dubai, which is in fact a regional hub, for stocking their goods in this Emirate before re-export to other markets as those of India or Iran. Moreover,the use of franchise has witnesses a significant expansion.
- Market Shares
- Supermarkets concentrate on the largest part of the market in the field of distribution with 49,2% of sales. The market leaders are the Groups Carrefour , Emke. and Spinney to a lesser extent. They are followed by bulk sales which realises 28.3% of the market share. In the third position are the shopping centers with 6%, then fairs and exhibitions with 1.5% finally followed by specialised stores with 0.2%.
- Organizations in the Retail Sector
Website of buyusainfo
Market Access Procedures
- International Conventions
- Member of
World Trade Organisation
Party to the Kyoto Protocol
Party to the Washington Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora
Party to the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and Their Disposal
- Main International Economic Cooperation
- The Emirates are very open to international trade. The country is part of the Greater Arab Free Trade Area (GAFTA), a pact of the Arab League entered into force in January 2005 which aims to form an Arabic free trade area.
- Non Tariff Barriers
It is prohibited to import foods exposed to radiation and import of alcohol and pork is strictly restricted to fixed quotas. It should also be known that any beef or poultry based product should be accompanied by a Health certificate from the country of origin.
The UAE is part of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) . In 1981, GCC had established an agreement (Unified Economic Agreement) according to which all farm, animal, industrial products or natural resources of the member States should be exempt from customs duties or any other tax when they conduct intra-GCC trade. GCC is presently in talks with the European Union, Japan and USA for future free-trade agreements.
- Customs Duties and Taxes on Imports
- Since the adoption of a common tariff for the GCC countries, the customs duty is 5% of the CIF value of the product.
- Customs Classification
- Since 2003 and the setting-up of the free trade area between the GCC countries, the system has been harmonised.
- Import Procedures
You must furnish:
- Delivery order from a shipping agent addressed to a licensed company by licensing agencies in UAE;
- Original bill of lading (for seaports);
- Original invoice from the exporter addressed to a licensed importer in the country detailing total quantity, goods description and total value for each item (3 exemplaries); *
- Copy of the trade license of buyer and seller;
- Certificate of origin approved by the chamber of commerce at the country of origin detailing the origin of goods; *
- Transport certificate; *
- The Customs entry declaration;
- A form or letter of exemption from customs duties in case the exemption requirements are fulfilled including Local Purchase Order (LPO);
- Detailed packing list as per weight, method of packing and HS code for each individual article contained in the shipment; *
- Import permit from the competent agencies in the event of importing restricted goods; *
- Health or Phytosanitary certificate or an export certificate for the processed products attested by the concerned national department office, confirming that the product is fit for human consumption
- A halal certificate for the meat ingredients; *
- A non-radiation certificate for some products (optional for European products); *
- Transport documents that are required for import clearance.
Documents with a * must be attested by the Embassy of United Arab Emitats and the Chamber of Commerce in the country of origin of products.
- Importing Samples
- No specific rules.
- For Further Information
Website of Emirates Federal Customs Authority
Federation of UAE Chambers of Commerce and Industry
Organizing Goods Transport
- Main Useful Means of Transport
- Maritime transport remains the principal means to goods transport. There are 15 ports in Emirates which experience an average traffic of 3 billion containers in a year. The port Jebel El Ali is one of the largest artificial ports in the world.
The air or surface transport freight remains less important than the maritime transport. According to them, rail transport is non-existant.
Dubai Port Authority
Port Zayed of Abu Dhabi
Sharjah Port Authority
Portal of airports in the UAE.
- Sea Transport Organizations
National Transport Authority
- Air Transport Organizations
General Civil Aviation Authority
- Road Transport Organizations
National Transport Authority
Identifying a Supplier
- Type of Production
- Industrial production has witnessed an unprecedented growth in Emirates by contributing today 14% of the GDP.
In Abu Dhabi the dominant industries are petroleum and petrochemicals, gas processing, desalinisation of sea water and electricity production. In Dubai and Sharjah, the industrial production is more diversified. Petrochemical and chemicals, metallurgy (aluminium), agro products, paper and textile industries are found. Ras el Khaimah has cement plant, marble works and a pharmaceutical plant. The small scale industry has developed.
- Business Directories
Directory organised by Emirates and sector.
- Trade Agencies and Their Representations Abroad
Abu Dhabi Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Chamber of Commerce of Dubai
Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the United Arab Emirates
Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Sharjah
- Enterprises Federation
Dubai Commodities Center. Association of companies working in jewellery sector.
Directory of Associations of foreign companies in partnership with the local companies in the field of trade.
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
The outlook for retail remains upbeat, in spite of challenging economic conditions. A study by the Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry (DCCI) attributes recent retail growth to high per capita income levels and the introduction of modern retail concepts.
UK Trade & Investment on 21 Mar 2011 related to Sales in the United Arab Emirates
Transformer oil purification machine
Akaren Chongqing Zhongneng oil Purifier Co.,Ltd on 17 Dec 2012 related to Sales in the United Arab Emirates
The UAE legal system distinguishes between the two forms of commercial agents- the registered and the unregistered commercial agent. Local companies prefer to work as registered agents for the law favors this arrangement.
U.S. Commercial Service United Arab Emirates on 22 Dec 2009 related to Sales in the United Arab Emirates
There are opportunities for UK companies in Dubai and the Northern Emirates in a number of areas
UK Trade & Investment on 8 Sep 2010 related to Sales in the United Arab Emirates
Face Ceramics Private Limited
Exporter of Digital Wall Tiles,
Supply: oil purifier, oil filtration machine, China
United Kingdom Trade Promotion, the United Kingdom
U.S.Department of Commerce, the United Arab Emirates