Domestic Transportation in the U.A.E.
Means of Transport Recommended in Town
- The best means of travelling in the cities of Emirates remain the personal car and the taxi. Taxis are a bit costly, but easy to find and numerous. Majority of them know a sufficient level English to follow directions and journeys. Local transports are still less developed except in Dubai which has an urban bus service. A trip to Dubai, costs between 1 and 3.5 AED and there is a pass system.A metro line is under construction in Dubai since 2006. River taxis enable to cross the Dubai Creek for 12 AED.
- Maps of Urban Networks
UT Library on line
- Urban Transport Agencies
Geographical information system portal
Online map of Emirates
- Find an Itinerary
Portal giving access of main places of interest in the Emirates.
- Taxi Companies
Dubai Taxi Agency
Transportation From Airport to City Centre:
|Abu Dhabi Intl (AUH)||38 km / 21 miles||AED 70 / 30-35 min||AED 5 / 40 min||-||Available|
|Dubai Intl (DXB)||5 km / 3 miles||AED 40 / 10 min||AED 2 / 15 min||-||Available|
Means of Transport Recommended in the Rest of the Country
- Personal vehicle or shared taxis are the best means of travelling between different Emirates. There are buses and minibuses assuring links between Emirates. A monorail project is under consideration between Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Aseaplane service already connects Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
- Rail Companies
There are no trains within Emirates.
|Name||Type||Domestic Flights||International Flights|
|Air Arabia||low cost||no||yes|
You Can Consult the List of Airlines Banned Within the EU. Look Also at the rating of the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
Traveling By Yourself
- The road network is excellent, but the traffic can be dangerous (excess speed, sudden stoppages of taxis in cities). For a tour in the desert, it is imperative to have a 4X4.
- Driver's License
- It is essential to possess a local licence (especially if resident). The procedure is easy, a national licence legalised by the Embassy as well as translation in Arabic must be submitted to the traffic police, who after a visit and receipt of a passport copy delivers the local licence in a period of 10 to 15 days. This procedure costs 49 EUR.
- Conditions For Renting a Vehicle
- To rent a vehicle, one must be 18 years and present the following documents: an international licence, national licence, two photos and a passport copy. It is possible to present only a national licence but in this case, the person should necessarily be a resident of the country of the licence.
- Rental Agencies
Portal with several taxi companies
- Tolls or Taxes
- Third party insurance is necessary from a local agency. The '"all risks" insurance is highly recommended.
-unlimited third party from 92 to 183 EUR according to the value of the vehicle
-all risks with franchise: 4.5% of the estimated value of the vehicle and franchise from 61 to 915 EUR according to the value of the vehicle.
- all risks without franchise : 5 to 7% of the estimated value of the vehicle.
- Road Maps
Website giving access to free cards
- Find an Itinerary
Portal of via michelin, then choose the country
- Parking Facilities
- There are many parkings but they are paid.
Rules of the Road
- Minimum Driving Age
- 18 years
- Side of the Road For Driving
- Right hand drive
- Speed Limits
- Speed limits at 60 km/h in cities and at 100 km/h outside residential areas.
- Safety Belts
- Belt necessary in the front of the vehicle
- Permitted Amount of Alcohol in the Blood
- Tolerated amount of alcohol is 0g. After occurence of an accident, blood tests are necessary. If traces of alcohol are discovered in the blood of the driver, he incurs a fine of 2000 DH and imprisonment up to three months.
- National Roads Organizations
Roads & transport Authority
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
Training- Business Consultation & Development, the United States