Investment Incentives in the U.K.
United Kingdom: Investing
Incentives or guarantees
- Forms of Aid
The Invest in Britain Department of the Ministry of Industry and Trade provides its services in order to inform foreign companies on aids to set up in Great Britain. Companies zones have been created to encourage industrial and commercial development. These zones allow companies to benefit from tax exemptions. Companies can contact the Department of Trade and Industry to obtain further details relating to the different regions.
The main form of support is the Selective Finance for Investment scheme in England, which aims to encourage significant investment in projects that lead to long-term improvements in productivity, skills and employment. It is a discretionary grant that may be offered to overseas companies (and UK owned companies) opening a new operation, or expanding/ modernising an existing operation in an Assisted Area. It is available to both manufacturing and service projects meeting certain criteria. See Berr.gov.uk/
- Privileged Domains
- Services, R&D.
- Privileged Geographical Zones
- There are 6 Free Zones: Liverpool Free Zone, Prestwick Airport Free Zone, Ronaldsway Airport Free Zone (Ballasala, Isle of Man), Southampton Free Zone, Tilbury Free Zone, Port of Sheerness Free Zone.
- Country Risk
Tax incentives offered to foreign investors
- Special tax treatments
- There are a number of grants and assistance available to businesses in the UK. Certain qualifying research and development revenue expenditure qualifies for 175% tax relief if incurred by small and medium sized companies. 130% relief may also be available for large companies. In the enterprise zones (development areas) an initial allowance of 100% is also available for commercial buildings. For more information on tax incentive programs you can consult UK Trade & Investment and Manchester Investment Development Agency Service (MIDAS).
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Investment Incentives in the United Kingdom!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related British companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: