Investment Opportunities in the U.K.
Protection of Foreign Investment
- Bilateral Investment Conventions Signed By the United Kingdom
- The UK has concluded 106 Bilateral Investment Treaties (BITs) with other countries, of which 94 are in force. More information is available on the website of UNCTAD.
- International Controversies Registered By UNCTAD
- There is one case of controversy registered, that of Eurotunnel versus France and the United Kingdom.
- Organizations Offering Their Assistance in Case of Disagreement
UKinvest , UK trade and investment
Westlaw , Legal information service
- Member of the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency
Country Comparison For the Protection of Investors
|United Kingdom||OECD||United States||Germany|
|Index of Transaction Transparency*||10.0||6.0||7.0||5.0|
|Index of Manager’s Responsibility**||7.0||5.2||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Shareholders’ Power***||7.0||6.8||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Investor Protection****||8.0||6.0||8.3||5.0|
Source: Doing Business
Note: *The Greater the Index, the More Transparent the Conditions of Transactions. **The Greater the Index, the More the Manager is Personally Responsible. *** The Greater the Index, the Easier it Will Be For Shareholders to Take Legal Action. **** The Greater the Index, the Higher the Level of Investor Protection.
Procedures Relative to Foreign Investment
- Freedom of Establishment
- Foreign companies establishing British subsidiaries generally encounter no special nationality requirements on directors or shareholders, although at least one director of any company registered in the UK must be ordinarily resident in the UK.
- Acquisition of Holdings
- In the United Kingdom, a majority holding interest in the capital of a local company is legal.
- Competent Organization For the Declaration
- Forms of Aid
The Invest in Britain Department of the Ministry of Industry and Trade provides its services in order to inform foreign companies on aids to set up in Great Britain. Companies zones have been created to encourage industrial and commercial development. These zones allow companies to benefit from tax exemptions. Companies can contact the Department of Trade and Industry to obtain further details relating to the different regions.
The main form of support is the Selective Finance for Investment scheme in England, which aims to encourage significant investment in projects that lead to long-term improvements in productivity, skills and employment. It is a discretionary grant that may be offered to overseas companies (and UK owned companies) opening a new operation, or expanding/ modernising an existing operation in an Assisted Area. It is available to both manufacturing and service projects meeting certain criteria. See Berr.gov.uk/
- Privileged Domains
- Services, R&D.
- Free Zones
- There are 6 Free Zones: Liverpool Free Zone, Prestwick Airport Free Zone, Ronaldsway Airport Free Zone (Ballasala, Isle of Man), Southampton Free Zone, Tilbury Free Zone, Port of Sheerness Free Zone.
- Organizations Which Finance
- UK trade and investment.
- Tenders, Projects and Public Procurement
OGC, Government Procurement Service
Tenders Info, Tenders in United Kingdom
Ted - Tenders Electronic daily, Business opportunities in EU 27
DgMarket, Tenders Worldwide
Finding Assistance For Further Information
- Doing Business Guides
United Kingdom Commercial Guide 2010 - Buy USA
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Investment Opportunities in the United Kingdom!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related British companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: