Industrial Standards in the U.K.
- National Standards Organizations
British Standards Institution
- Integration in the International Standards Network
- The UK is a member body of the
International Organization for Standardization and a full member of the
International Electrotechnical Commission. It is also a member state of the
International Telecommunication Union.
There are also some specific EU standards: European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization ( CENELEC), European Telcommunications Standards Institute ( ETSI), European Committee for Standardization ( ECS), handling all other standards.
- Obligation to Use Standards
- Most standards are voluntary although they can be made mandatory by law or regulation.
- Classification of Standards
- There are over 27,000 British Standards in use and 2000 are produced annually. CE is the European certification mark. It is compulsory for a country to be able to sell on the market.
- Assessment of the System of Standardization
- By complying with British Standards, suppliers demonstrate that their products or services are safe and fit for purpose. Customers look for the independent verification that technical standards provide. Certification marks earned by businesses whose products and practices consistently stand up to rigorous examination are instantly recognizable and act as respected badges of quality, safety and performance.
- Online Consultation of Standards
- The BSI Shop offers a full catalogue of standards and publications, many of which are available as PDF downloads.
- Certification Organizations
The United Kingdom Accreditation Service. Follow this link for a list of
Certification Body Schedules.
- Associations of Standards Users
BSS is the UK member of the
International Federation of Standard Users (IFAN).
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
Products tested and certified in the United States to American standards are likely to have to be retested and re-certified to EU requirements as a result of the EU’s different approach to the protection of the health and safety of consumers and the environment.
U.S. Commercial Service United Kingdom on 6 Jan 2010 related to Industrial Standards in the United Kingdom
Find the related British companies with Kompass:
U.S. Department of Commerce, the United Kingdom