Sightseeing in the U.K.
Tourism and Culture
Different Forms of Tourism
- Roman remains, castles, palaces, Stately Homes. Museums of our maritime heritage or the Industrial Revolution. The UK has a wealth of historic places to visit.
- Painting, literature, theatre and music. Prestigious and leading-edge museums, galleries and centers for arts and crafts.
- 49 designated Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, 40 National Scenic Areas, 14 National Parks and an amazing 27 World Heritage Sites, 5 of which have World Heritage status due to their outstanding natural features. The landscape is very varied. Scotland and Wales are mountainous with Ben Nevis (Scotland) the highest peak in the UK and Snowdon the highest peak in Wales.
Many thousands of beautiful churches, abbeys and cathedrals spanning 13 centuries of history. They are found in every city, town and village, and most are open for visitors to enter and explore freely. Canterbury Cathedral is one of the UK 's top destinations.
Consult Visit britain website.
- There are several spa towns in Britain, Bath Spa being a very popular destination because of its historic past (Roman remains).
- Best areas are the South-East, the South-West, Wales, Norfolk, Northumberland and Scotland. Visit Goodbeachguide.
- Winter Sports
- The natural snow resorts are in Scotland and all have invested heavily in recent years.
- Outdoor Activities
- For a list of activities for all tastes, from walking, cycling, riding, golfing to sailing, visit Visitbritain.co.uk.
- Britain is a great place for speciality shopping, whether for souvenirs or luxury treats.
Individual and Civic Freedoms
- Political Freedom
- Civil Liberty
- Freedom of the Press
World Ranking of Freedom of the Press According to "Reporters sans Frontières", 2009 report : 22/175
Evolution: 3 places up compared to 2008
- For Further Information, Consult Worldwide Press Freedom Index 2009, Reporters Without Borders
- Free Access to the Internet
- Freedom of Assembly
- Rule of Law
- Widespread. The law prohibits arbitrary arrest and detention, but critics charge that some procedures introduced to combat terrorism constitute preventive detention.
- Personal Autonomy and Individual Rights
- Respected. However, there have been allegations of abuse of detainees and deportees. Prisons are overcrowded.
- Women's Condition
- Women receive equal treatment under the law but are underrepresented in politics and top levels of business.
- For Further Information
Human Rights Report , US Dept of State
- Degree of Freedom
- The law provides for freedom of religion. The Queen is the Head of the Church of England and religious education must be provided in publicly maintained schools.
Muslims - Sunni 10.8%
- Role of Religion in Society
- Religion pays an important role in contemporary social life and is practiced freely through ceremonies taking place in churches, temples and mosques to punctuate life events.
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Sightseeing in the United Kingdom!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related British companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: