Business Travel in the U.K.
- Passport and Visa Service
UK Border Agency
- Diplomatic Representations
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Organizing Your Trip
Means of Transport Recommended in Town
- In cities, due to traffic congestion, the use of public transport (Underground or buses) is recommended.
Taxis are widely available. Taxis drivers are highly trained but they speak mostly English. Pedestrians are injured and even killed every year in accidents, forgetting that traffic drives on the left. Extra care should be taken when crossing streets.
- Maps of Urban Networks
Transport for London (Maps)
Transportation From Airport to City Centre:
|London - Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 & 3 (LHR)||25 km / 15 miles||£ 35-60 / 45-70 min||£6.90/ 40-80 min||£16.50 / 22 min||Available|
Means of Transport Recommended in the Rest of the Country
- The country has a good rail network. Intercity lines provide fast services between London and major cities, and there are services to the southeast, to the Midlands, north and south Wales and between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Some rural areas are less well served.
The National Rail network is now operated by train operating companies. Internal flights depart regularly to major cities.
- Rail Companies
|Name||Type||Domestic Flights||International Flights|
You Can Consult the List of Airlines Banned Within the EU. Look Also at the rating of the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
Traveling By Yourself
- There is a good quality road and motorway network. Roads tend to be congested, particularly in the South. There are a lot of trucks on the roads; only the heaviest loads travel by rail. In London, avoid parking in the street, as parking spaces are reserved for those with a resident's permit.
- Road Maps
- Find an Itinerary
The Automobile Association's route planning facility.
Different Forms of Tourism
- Roman remains, castles, palaces, Stately Homes. Museums of our maritime heritage or the Industrial Revolution. The UK has a wealth of historic places to visit.
- Painting, literature, theatre and music. Prestigious and leading-edge museums, galleries and centers for arts and crafts.
- 49 designated Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, 40 National Scenic Areas, 14 National Parks and an amazing 27 World Heritage Sites, 5 of which have World Heritage status due to their outstanding natural features. The landscape is very varied. Scotland and Wales are mountainous with Ben Nevis (Scotland) the highest peak in the UK and Snowdon the highest peak in Wales.
- Many thousands of beautiful churches, abbeys and cathedrals spanning 13 centuries of history. They are found in every city, town and village, and most are open for visitors to enter and explore freely. Canterbury Cathedral is one of the UK 's top destinations.
Consult Visit britain website.
- There are several spa towns in Britain, Bath Spa being a very popular destination because of its historic past (Roman remains).
- Best areas are the South-East, the South-West, Wales, Norfolk, Northumberland and Scotland. Visit Goodbeachguide.
- Winter Sports
- The natural snow resorts are in Scotland and all have invested heavily in recent years.
- Outdoor Activities
- For a list of activities for all tastes, from walking, cycling, riding, golfing to sailing, visit Visitbritain.co.uk.
- Britain is a great place for speciality shopping, whether for souvenirs or luxury treats.
Health and Safety
- Health Precautions
- No health or vaccination requirements. However, immigration officers can refer individuals to a doctor for a medical examination: someone visibly unwell, intending to remain for more than 6 months or coming from a country with a high rate of tuberculosis.
- International Hospitals
- For information for non-British citizens regarding the UK medical system, and for a list of hospitals, consult Expat-medical-insurance.
- For Further Information on Sanitary Conditions
World Health Organization
Department of Health
- For Further Information on Safety Conditions
Travel information from the Canadian Foreign Office
U.S. Department of State travel information
|Official UK emergency phone number||999|
|Official EU (and worldwide, via GSM) emergency phone number||112|
|Non-emergency health advice with NHS Direct||08 45 46 47|
|Gas leaks||0800 111 999|
|Non-emergency Police and Local authorities||101|
Time Difference and Climate
- Time and Time Difference
- It is %T:%M %A In London (GMT in summer and GMT+ 1 in winter)
- Summer Time Period
- March to October.
Map of the Time Zone
- Type of Climate
- As an island, the UK has very variable weather. Extremes of temperature are rare but snow, hail, heavy rain and heat waves can occur. Average temperatures: January 2°C, June 22°C . Waterproof, warm clothing is advisable at all times, and is essential for any visits to upland areas. The best time to visit the UK is in the summer (June, July, August), but good weather cannot be guaranteed.
- For Further Information
The Meteorological Office
British Broadcasting Corporation - Weather Section
Average Annual Temperatures and Rainfall
- Food Specialties
- Examples of traditional (family) English dishes include: Full English breakfast, Bangers and mash (sausages and mashed potato), Fish and chips (battered fish and chipped potatoes), Shepherd's pie or Cottage pie (minced meat and mashed potato gratin), Cornish pasty (potato, meat and vegetables in pastry), Bread and butter pudding, Apple pie, Treacle tart etc.
Typical dishes are listed and pictured on Woodlands
- England is famous for its beer (dark ale, served draught in pubs) and cider, and Scotland for its whisky. The south of England produces a very small quantity of wine. There is a wide range of waters, fruit juices and non-alcoholic drinks available.
- Dietary Restrictions
- Domestic Currency
- British Pound
- ISO Code
- To Obtain Domestic Currency
- The Pound Sterling (£) is divided into 100 pence.
Banknotes: 5, 10, 20 and 50 GBP; Coins: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 pence, 1 and 2 GBP.
Additional bank notes issued by Scottish banks (including 1 GBP notes) are legal tender in all parts of the UK.
- Possible Means of Payment
- Credit, debit cards and travelers cheques (preferably in GBP) are widely accepted. Cash can be obtained from the many ATMs available across the country.
- Official Language
- English. Welsh in Wales.
- Other Languages Spoken
- Welsh in Wales.
- Business Language
- Getting Some Knowledge
- Useful English business phrases can be found at About.com
- Free Translation Tools
WorldLingo : Free online language translator
Systran : Free online translation box
Promt : Free on-line translator
- To Find an Accommodation
Accommodation associations' websites.
- To Find an Apartment
National Approved Letting Scheme
UK property search engines (estate agents)
UK property search engines (estate agents)
National Approved Letting Scheme
Property Finder search facility
Free property classified ads
- To Find a Job
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
This article examines what businesses and individuals need to consider when working in the UK as an expatriate, including important compliance issues and opportunities for tax savings.
BRAL Limited on 9 Apr 2010 related to Business Travel in the United Kingdom
the home of award winning freelance graphic designer, Photographer and web designer in Ahmedabad, India. I am highly experienced with nearly 19 years of working in design industry..
uk design studio on 13 Sep 2015 related to Business Travel in the United Kingdom
Find the related British companies with Kompass:
Graphic Design Agency, Expert in Logo & Packaging, the United StatesGraphic Design Agency, providing creative services for established and entrepreneurial brands, businesses. We...
Outsourced Accounting Services, the United Kingdom