Business Practices in the United States
- The Fundamental Principles of Business Culture
- Punctuality is the key point for business meetings. The North American culture drives individual initiative and achievements. In the States, money is a key priority: the concept "time is money" is taken seriously in this business culture.
- First Contact
- Americans are direct in business but they like to laugh and enjoy talking with people with a sense of humor. They will listen to you and meet you if they think that your idea or company is of interest to their business.
- Americans refrain from greetings that involve hugging and close physical contact unless you have known them for a long time. The standard space between you and your counterpart should be about two feet.
- How to Present Yourself
- Since time is money, go directly to the point. Be clear and simple when you need to present yourself and the company you are working for. Be nice and cool.
- Business Relations
- American executives are willing to take chances. Risk taking often results in Americans going for the biggest slice of the business, 100% if possible.
- Presenting a gift is a nice gesture, but it is not expected. Business gifts are usually presented after the deal is closed. When you visit a home, you don't need to bring a gift. Gifts for women like perfumes or clothing are not polite. They are considered too personal.
- Dress Code
- For the first meeting, you won't go wrong if you dress conservatively. Afterwards, you may follow the example of your American counterparts. It always varies with the industry you are working in. For example, in a bank, you will always dress conservatively even after several meetings.
- Visiting Cards
- Bring some business cards with you to exchange with the different people you meet. Americans give you their business cards at the very beginning of the meeting.
- For Further Information
Doing Business In the USA
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
Steps a company should take in developing their International Marketing and Sales Strategy.
Stephen Davis, CXO Advisory Group on 4 May 2010 related to Business Practices in the United States
How to use many social media iin your international trade business
International Inernet Strategies on 24 Mar 2011 related to Business Practices in the United States
A basic guide for doing business in Louisiana: it is an introduction to the United States tax system, federal and state tax incentives, and federal and state business incentives.
World Trade Center New Orleans on 13 Sep 2010 related to Business Practices in the United States
Competitive Intelligence primer
Global Strategy, Inc. on 6 Oct 2012 related to Business Practices in the United States
When expanding or launching an import export business, there are many cultural concerns that may impact your global efforts. Learn about cultural differences so you will be successful.
Import Export Institute on 3 Oct 2012 related to Business Practices in the United States
This manual explores how a business ethics program helps owners, managers, and their professional advisers build an enterprise to meet these standards. It builds on three essential concepts to help busy owners and managers design and implement business ethics programs for their unique enterprises.
International Trade Administration on 8 Jan 2010 related to Business Practices in the United States
BISCUE App What's New RSS
Shubiki Corporation on 13 Dec 2012 related to Business Practices in the United States
Interested in spending more time on shipping and less on border delays?
Pacific Customs Brokers Ltd. on 1 Mar 2012 related to Business Practices in the United States
A Global Education in a Digital World, the United States
Colorado Lawyer for business, export, import, the United StatesMs. Aron is licensed in New York and Colorado. She has been an attorney since 1979, and is past chair of the...
E-Learning & M-Learning, Japan
Business Development Strategy
Import Export Training, the United States
International Trade Services, the United States
Customs Brokers and Trade Compliance Consulting, Canada
Intl Trade On The Internet, the United States
International Trade Org, the United States
Legal Consulting, the United States
Professor Of Law, the United StatesThese are challenging times for students considering law school. Many are questioning the value of a law degree,...
Business Development & Sales, the United StatesStephen N. Davis, of The CXO Advisory Group, advises businesses on how to optimize and improve operations,...
Training/Practitioner, SingaporePractitioner-academican. Training-Consultant/ Chartered Marketer Prof Dr Patrick Low Kim Cheng has written eleven books...
Political Economy PhD Fellow , Denmarkpolitical economy; development economics; East and Southeast Asia; innovation policy; migration; development studies;...
U.S. Department of Commerce, the United States