Political Conditions in the United States
- Type of State
- A federal republic state based on representative democracy with three equally powerful branches of government. United States has 50 states which are largely self governing and semi-sovereign entities.
- Executive Power
President is both the chief of state and the head of the government. President is elected by an electoral college (who are elected directly from each state) to serve a four-year term. President is the commander-in-chief of the armed forces.
These powers are checked by parliament. The Cabinet is appointed by the President subject to approval by the senat.
- Legislative Power
- The legislature is bicameral in the United States. The Congress consists of Senate (the upper house) and the House of Representatives (lower house). The Senate has the power to confirm or reject presidential appointments and to ratify treaties; the House of Representatives has the sole right to initiate revenue bills, although they may be amended or rejected by the Senate. President has the power to veto the legislation passed by the Congress. The Congress can override the veto with a two-thirds vote.
- Main Political Parties
- The United States has a two-party system :
- Democratic Party : the oldest political party in the world (established in 1820s) with a liberal, pro-working class Philosophy;
- Republican Party : established in 1854, socially conservative but economically more liberal, favors free-market economy and capitalism.
- Current Political Leaders
- President: Barack Obama (since January 2009): Democrat Party
- Next Election Dates
- Presidential: November 2012
ongress: November 2012
Indicator of Freedom of the Press
- World Rank:
- 20 places up compared to 2008
Indicator of Political Freedom
- Political Freedom:
- Civil Liberties:
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
Consilium Global Business Advisors regular blog on various topics of international business interest
Consilium Global Business Advisors on 4 Jun 2012 related to Political Conditions in the United States
Senators Charles Schumer (D-NY) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC) have announced a draft framework for forging a bipartisan consensus on Comprehensive Immigration Reform (CIR).
Fragomen on 14 Apr 2010 related to Political Conditions in the United States
An interview with Danbee CEO Barry Brandman on the state of supply chain security
Danbee Investigations on 21 Feb 2015 related to Political Conditions in the United States
security consulting and investigative services, the United StatesDanbee Investigations enables companies to successfully achieve and maintain certification from C-TPAT, NEEC, PIP and...
Export Advisory Services, the United States
Legal Services,Australia, Australia