Reaching the Consumer in the United States
- Growing Sectors
- Three particular sectors are displaying the most aggressive growth rates: computer/mathematical, community/social service, and health practices jobs are each projected to grow by more than 20 percent in the next decade
- Consumer Behavior
- Consumer behavior has not been regarded in the United States as an environmental issue. However, there is an increasing awareness that the earth's ecosystems cannot support rapid and unlimited consumption of its natural resources.
- Consumer Profile and Purchasing Power
- American consumer is very open to buy foreign products. Product supply is very diverse in the USA. American consumer is rich, and highly diverse in their interests and tastes. They value home comfort, foods and cars. However, the recession have changed the economic landscape and seems to have fundamentally altered the behaviour of numerous US consumers, who are now learning to live without expensive products.
- Consumer Recourse to Credit
- The use of consumer credits is high.
- Consumers Associations
Media in Which to Advertise
- Expensive but reaches consumers massively.
- Expensive but reaches consumers massively. In regional and local newspapers, it is efficient only for a product with strong potential in a specific region.
Advertise in specialized magazines is a more affordable option for small- to medium-size companies. It is the best advertising option to reach a focused target, consumer group or to sell industrial and commercial products
- Not really useful if you don't have a good clients database interested in your services or products.
- In Transportation Venues
- In major cities on rail trains, buses, and inside metro, train stations
Distribution of flyers, framed posters, stickers in specific places where you think that the biggest concentration of your clients is.
CBS Outdoors' business
Clear Channel Outdoor
- Several radio stations. Companies choose to advertise on specific hour, day of the week related to radios audiences.
ABC Radio Networks
CBS Radio stations
Public Radio International
National Public Radio
Sirius Satellite Radio
XM Satellite Radio
- New Technologies (E-Marketing, SMS, etc.)
- The USA is the biggest market of the world in online advertising.
- Main Advertising Agencies
Main Principles of Advertising Regulations
Long-standing regulations already prohibit false or misleading claims regarding the "curative or therapeutic effects" of an alcoholic beverage in an advertisement or on a label. In general, under the new rules, beer, wine and liquor companies can make a claim about a specific health benefit about their products on labels or in advertisements under limited circumstances.
The claim must be substantiated by scientific or medical evidence; information must be provided about the health risks associated with moderate and heavier levels of alcohol consumption; and information must be disclosed about the "categories of individuals" for which any alcohol consumption poses risks.
- Bans outdoor advertising within 1,000 feet of schools and playgrounds. Permits black-and-white text only advertising for all other outdoor advertising. Color and imagery advertising is allowed inside places minors are not allowed to enter.
Permits black-and-white text-only advertising in publications with significant youth readership (under 18).
Prohibits the sale or giveaway of tobacco products like caps, jackets or gym bags that carry cigarette or smokeless tobacco product brand names or logos.
Prohibits the brand name sponsorship of sporting or entertainment events, but permits it in the corporate name. Sponsorship of individual teams or entries within a sporting event is also prohibited.
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) handles most matters regarding the labeling of Over-The-Counter drugs. Given the health and safety issues that can arise in marketing these products, advertisers should take care in substantiating their claims. Depending on the claim, advertisers may be required to back up their representations with competent and reliable scientific evidence, including tests, studies, or other objective data.
- Other Rules
Under the Federal Trade Commission Act:
- Advertising must be truthful and non-deceptive;
- Advertisers must have evidence to back up their claims; and
- Advertisements cannot be unfair.
- Use of Foreign Languages in Advertisement
- Foreign commercials must always include some English language
- Organizations Regulating Advertising
FTC: Federal Trade Commission Act
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
Guide to importing to the USA
International Trade Consultants on 20 Nov 2012 related to Reaching the Consumer in the United States
Consilium Global Business Advisors regular blog on various topics of international business interest
Consilium Global Business Advisors on 4 Jun 2012 related to Reaching the Consumer in the United States
Practical steps to use Twitter to gain exposure, show your business' approach, and engage in new ways with prospective and existing customers, and even competitors!
OneWorld Communications on 7 May 2012 related to Reaching the Consumer in the United States
This presentation introduces different types of international trade events and gives advice on how to prepare for a successful venue.
Bronwen Madden, El Camino College Center For International Trade on 2 Apr 2010 related to Reaching the Consumer in the United States
Using a free email account to contact potential customers is a big no-no in the business world
Global Services Worldwide on 4 Feb 2013 related to Reaching the Consumer in the United States
There are a part of glassware products we supply,high quality and competitive price.
Hebei ShengRi Import&Export Co.,Ltd on 23 May 2014 related to Reaching the Consumer in the United States
Hebei ShengRi Import&Export Co.,Ltd
Glass food storage container,baking dish,casserole, ChinaHEBEI SHENGRI IMPORT & EXPORT CO.,LTD specialized in glass food storage container, baking plate, casserole...
IMEX training & consulting , the United States
Marketing Sales Trade Shows, the United StatesWe are consultants to international consumer goods manufacturers, who want to introduce their popular brands and...
Export Advisory Services, the United States
Advertising agency with offices in 16 countries, the United States
International Trade/Investment, the United States