On June 4, 2012, China notified the WTO of National Food Safety Standard: Roasted Seeds and Nuts as SPS/N/CHN/523. This standard applies to raw and cooked nuts and seeds.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS ASSESSMENTS OF COMMODITY AND TRADE ISSUES MADE BY
USDA STAFF AND NOT NECESSARILY STATEMENTS OF OFFICIAL U.S. GOVERNMENT
GAIN Report Number: 12049
China - Peoples Republic of
National Food Safety Standard on Roasted Seeds and Nuts
Food and Agricultural Import Regulations and
Standards - Certification
M Meador and Ma Jie
On June 4, 2012, China notified the WTO of National Food Safety Standard: Roasted Seeds and Nuts as
SPS/N/CHN/523. This standard applies to raw and cooked nuts and seeds. This standard prescribes the terms, definitions,
and technical requirements etc. The date for submission of final comments to China is August 3, 2012. The proposed date of
entry is to be determined. This report is an INFORMAL translation of this document. Comments can be sent to China’s SPS
Enquiry Point at email@example.com
National Standard of the People’s Republic of China
This standard shall supersede GB 19300-2003 of the “Sanitary Standard of Roasted Foods” and GB 16326-2005 “Sanitary
Standards of Roasted Seeds and Nuts.”
Compared with GB 19300-2003 and GB 16326-2005, main changes include:
--Name of the standards are changed;
--Scopes are changed;
--Terminologies and definitions are added;
--Sense requirements are amended;
--Physicochemical indexes are amended;
--GB 2762 and GB 2761 are quoted directly for the limits to pollutants and limits to fungal toxin;
--Limits to pesticide residue are added;
-- Limits to microbes are amended;
--Annex A is added.
National Standard of Food Safety
Roasted Seeds and Nuts
This standard shall be applicable to roasted seeds and nuts.
1. Terminology and definitions
1. Roasted seeds and nuts shall mean dry and boiled foods with fruit and vegetable seeds and nuts as the main
raw materials, with or without accessories, made through drying, stir-frying, roasting, deep-frying or other
2. Fruit and vegetable seeds shall mean the seeds of melons, fruits and vegetables, including sunflower seeds,
watermelon seeds, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, peas and string beans.
3. Nuts shall mean the tree plant seeds with strong shells, including walnut seeds, Chinese chestnuts, almond,
semen amygdalae, kiskatom, pistachio nuts, Chinese torreya, Macadamia and pine nuts.
4. Initial processing shall be the process under which the nuts and fruit and vegetable seeds are processed
after cleaning, screening, shelling or grill under low temparature.
5. Moldy kernel shall mean the kernels of the nucleus with abnormal color and luster and fungus on the
surface or with peculiar smell.
6. Health nuts and seeds shall mean the nuts, fruit and vegetable seeds or nucleuses after initial processing
like drying without undergoing cropping techniques.
7. Ripe nuts and seeds shall mean foods with fruit and vegetable seeds, nuts or their nucleuses as the raw
materials, with or without accessories made through cropping techniques like drying, deep-frying, boiling
2. Technical requirements
1. Requirements for raw materials: The raw materials for cropped nuts and seeds shall comply with the
provisions dry nuts and seeds and other applicable standards and regulations.
2. Sense requirement
1. The sense requirements for health nuts and seeds shall comply with the provisions under Table 1.
Sense Requirements for Health Nuts and Seeds
Item Requirements Testing methods
Color Even color and luster Take samples for appropriate amount. Place the
and with normal color and samples on a clean white porcelain cup and observe
luster luster of this product the color and luster, shape of the particles and alien
Taste Pure taste and smell matters. Smell and make comments. Moldy kernels
and without peculiar odor like shall be counted in single digits and the products with
smell sour shells shall be inspected with the shells removed.
Moldy ≤2% for products with
kernels shells and no moldy
kernel shall be observed
for products without
Alien No alien matters shall be
matters observed with normal
How to calculate moldy kernels:
Take samples according to sample quartering (about 200 kernels), count their number and
remove any shells. Count the moldy kernels and calculate the index of moldy kernels according
to the following formula:
f—the index of moldy kernels of the product with the unit of kernel per 100 (%);
ni—number of moldy kernels;
n—total number of the sample taken
1. The sense of the cropped nuts and seeds shall comply with the requirements under table 2
Sense Requirements for Cropped Nuts and Seeds
Item Requirement Testing methods
Color and Even color and luster Take samples for appropriate amount. Place the
luster with normal color and samples on a clean white porcelain cup and observe
luster of this product the color and luster, shape of the particles and alien
Taste Pure taste and smell matters. Smell, taste and make comments.
and smell without peculiar odor like
Alien No alien matters shall be
matters observed with normal
1. Physicochemical indexes shall comply with the provisions under table 3.
Item Indexes Testing methods
Health nuts and Cropped nuts and
Nuts Fruit and Sunflower Others
Peroxide value Refer to annex A for pre-
(measured in fat) 0.08 0.4 0.80 0.50 processing of the samples
(g/100g) ≤ and testing is to be done
as per GB/T 5009.37
(measured in fat, 3
Sulfur dioxide GB/T 5009.34
contents/(g/kg) ≤ -- -- 0.4
1. Limits to the pollutants and fungal toxin
1. Limits to pollutants shall comply with the provisions under GB 2762, and the legumes in the fruit
and vegetable seeds shall comply with the provisions regarding legumes.
2. Limits to fungal toxin shall comply with the provisions under GB 2761 and the legumes in the
fruit and vegetable seeds shall comply with the provisions regarding legumes.
2. Limits to pesticide residues shall comply with GB 2763 and applicable national regulations and rules.
3. Limits to microbes
1. Limits to microbes shall company with the provisions under the “National Standard of Food
Safety/Limits to Pathogen.
2. Limits to coliform in the ripe nuts and seeds, leaf mold and yeast shall comply with the provisions
under table 4.
Limits to Coliform in the Ripe Nuts and Seeds, Leaf Mold and Yeast
Item Limits (expressed in CFU/g unless Testing methods
Coliform 30 Counting method under GB
groups/(MPN/100g) ≤ 4789.3 MPN
Leaf mold 25 GB 4789.15
Yeast 25 GB 4789.15
Applicable only to foods of cropped nuts and seeds.
1. Food additives
The use of food additives shall comply with the provisions under GB 2760.
Pre-processing methods of acid value and peroxide vales
Take appropriate amount of edible parts of nuts and seeds with shells and remove the shells. For the kernels with green
internal membranes (like melon basket seeds), the green internal membranes attached shall be removed from the surface of
How to remove the green internal membranes: Spray the surfaces of the kernels after the shelling with distilled water. After 5
minutes, scrub off the green internal membranes with hands and place the kernels without the green membranes into an oven
at the temperature of about 50ºC for 45 minutes.
A.2 Oil extraction
Place the sample after the crashing into a Delta bottle and add 100ml of Sherwood oil of 30ºC to 60ºC. Shake the bottle for
about 1 minute and leave it for 12 hours. Filter the contents through a funnel with anhydrous sodium sulfate at the
temperature of 60ºC. Shake off the Sherwood oil to remain standby. The amount of oil extracted shall comply with the
provisions under GB/T 5009.37.