• Size of Country: 338,424 (sq km land)
• Population: 5.4 million
• Population concentration: 64% urban. About 1.25 million people live in the Helsinki metropolitan area in Southern Finland.
• Commute needs: Finland, with a population of 5.4 million, had a total of about 2.9 million passenger cars in 2010. Finland has a very effective public transportation system. All the cities and towns have been designed so that you can get anywhere using public transportation or walking.
• Motorization: 0.99 vehicles per capita; 0.63 personal cars per capita
• Status of mass transit: Finland has a reliable, well functioning public transportation system throughout the whole country.
Activities in the electric automobile area:
Electric Vehicle Action Group (EVAG) is a joint effort of the key Finnish companies in the business to create an infrastructure for electric traffic in the major Finnish cities. The goal is to build the prerequisites for electric cars and other electric vehicles by means of high level state, municipal and business collaboration.
The objective of the EVAG consortium is to enable the proliferation of EV use by developing urban structures, infrastructure and services to be favorable to and compatible with various types of electric vehicles, as well as advancing the sales and adoption of electric vehicles. The concrete target of the project starting fall 2011 is to find ways to increase the number of electric cars in the Finnish urban landscape for the “World Design Capital” 2012. EVAG is actively seeking partners both in Finland and abroad. For further information, please contact Mr. Elias Poyry, EVAG coordinator, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Finnish company, Valmet Automotive is an experienced service provider for the automotive industry and a forerunner in the field of electric vehicles. The company provides engineering and consulting services for various companies in the automotive industry.
In 40 years, over one million high-quality and premium cars have been produced by Valmet Automotive in Uusikaupunki, western Finland. In Uusikaupunki, the company manufactures models for Fisker Automotive Inc. and Garia A/S. Due to recent changes in the ownership of THINK Global AS, the production of THINK City EVs is currently on hold. For more information, please visit http://www.valmet-automotive.com/automotive/cms.nsf
Eco Urban Living Initiative – In 2010, the City of Espoo, Valmet Automotive, Fortum and Nokia launched a new Eco Urban Living initiative promoting the use of electric cars. The focus of the initiative is to advance technology development and to create an eco-conscious living environment in the city of Espoo, in close proximity of Helsinki, the capital.
Espoo, in cooperation with other parties, will develop a “Living Lab” environment, which will implement city planning, taking into consideration more stringent environmental requirements. The project is closely connected to the Aalto University and the Technical Research Center of Finland VTT, with a common goal of turning Espoo into an internationally leading innovation hub for electric motoring.