Software procurement by Spanish Public Administrations

An Expert's View about Computer Facilities Management in Spain

Posted on: 16 Feb 2010

Summary

Spanish public administration investments in information technology and telecommunications offer significant opportunities to U.S. companies. The 2007 electronic administration law, regulating the rights of both citizens and companies when dealing electronically with public administrations at all levels of government and supporting the reduction in the gap in the area of E-administration with other European countries, will support continued investment in the area of IT services and equipment, offering opportunities for U.S. Companies.

This report focuses on software, as it seems the most promising area for U.S. exporters. The different Spanish public administration levels: central government, autonomous communities and local entities are discussed individually.

 

Software in central government

The total expenditure of the Spanish central government on Information technology and telecommunications in 2005 was estimated at €1.5 billion in 2006 ($2 billion), according to the latest REINA report, a Spanish government summary on the ICT status of the different Spanish administration levels. Information technology (software, hardware, services and personnel) represented 80 percent of the total, for €1.2 billion ($1.6 billion). Spanish central government spent €154.9 million during 2006 ($202 Million) on software.

 

Computer base installement in the central administration as of 1/1//2007 was 429,843 systems, with a medium time in service of 3.7 years. At the time there were 89 major systems, 1,743 medium systems, 10,940 small systems and 417,521 personal computers.

 

The three major software suppliers in 2006 were IBM, Dell and Informatica El Corte Ingles. Hewlett Packard, Sofware AG, Fujitsu, Indra Sistemas and Getronics also had significant market shares. Nevertheless, the firms mentioned above represented just about 52% of total expenditure in Software, while the remaining 48% were widely distributed among other software providers.

 

Autonomous regions

Detailed information on software expenditures by the 17 Autonomous Communities in Spain is not easily aggregated. An indicator of electronic administration is that in 2007 there were an estimated 68 personal computers for each one hundred employees. In 2007 Autonomous Communities employed over 1.2 million people. A report offering some insight on their IT resources is available at the Ministry of Public Administrations website.

 

There has been a paradigm change in the Spanish public administration, from the use of information technology as a tool to improve productivity in specific areas to the objective of hooking the citizen to the services offered by the administration. Information technology is now considered to be a strategic infrastructure that recognizes the right of citizens to interact electronically with the Administration, which will emphasize this trend and accelerate investment in IT. About 60 percent of Spanish Autonomous Communities have specific policies in place fostering the use of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software).

 

By Jesus Garcia Lozano

Read the full market research report


Posted: 16 February 2010